Samuel Bestwick 23/01/96
I am an artist and filmmaker currently based in Cornwall. Primarily employing the use of moving image, my practice explores narrative in conjunction with place and social history, often re-contextualising these ideas within a modern context. In addition to this my work is often concerned with the act of looking and by extension, philosophies surrounding the camera itself.
* Upon exploring my website you may be surprised with the lack of moving image content available to watch. This is for a number of reasons, most important of which being - the context in which my work is viewed. The films I make are often designed with a specific presentation in mind and should be experienced in this environment where possible.
- Cornwall Heritage Trust grant. Cornwall. 2021
- FEAST project grant. Cornwall. 2021
- Member of the 'New Wave Jury' Cornwall film festival. 2021
- Recipient of Black Dogs Artist Bursary. 2019
- Porthmeor Artist residency award, St.Ives. 2018
- 'Dowr Tamar / Great Water' Grays Wharf gallery, Penryn.
- 'Champion trees of Cornwall' Rolling exhibition
Spring - Summer 2023
- 'Glean' Back Lane West, Redruth.
- 'Flatverse' Goldfish bowl gallery, Falmouth.
- 'The Chorus of Faff' The Plough Arts centre, Torrington
February - March 2022
- 'King Dog?' Miners and Mechanics institute, St.Agnes
- 'Keskorra’ Porthmeor studios, St.Ives
- 'Earthly Bodies' The Cornish Bank, Falmouth
- 'Silent Film Showcase' 44AD Bath Fringe festival, Bath
- 'All about looking' Grays Wharf gallery, Penryn
- 'together / apart ' That Art Gallery, Bristol.
- Falmouth University Degree show, Falmouth.
- 'In Residency' Fox galleries, Woodlane campus, Falmouth.
- 'Lick the battery' Fish Factory Arts, Penryn.
- '6/5' Porthmeor studios, St.Ives.
- 2nd year Fine Art exhibition at Poly, Falmouth.
- 'All change' Bath college.
- Participant in the Cornwall Workshop, Kestle Barton
- Four month Artist residency at Back lane west, Redruth.
January - May 2022
- Month long Artist residency at Porthmeor studios, St.Ives.
- 'Dream BIG' Pool School Gallery, Pool.
- Porthmeor studios experimental film evening, St.Ives
- 'Dream BIG’ Project with Pool School Gallery, Pool.
November - January 2020
- BA(Hons)Fine Art, Falmouth university. First Class
- Art Foundation at Bath college. Distinction
- Extended Diploma In Art and Design at Bath College.